Turkish-Style Sirloin with Roasted Garlic-Fig Sauce
Total Recipe Time: 40 to 45 minutesMarinade Time: 15 minutes to 2 hours
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients1 beef Top Sirloin Steak Boneless, cut 1 inch thick (1-1/2 pounds)2 cloves garlic, minced1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice1/2 teaspoon pepper1/3 cup dry red wine1 tablespoon olive oilSalt and pepperChopped almonds and fresh mint (optional)Bulgur:1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat1-1/2 cups water1/2 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice1/4 cup chopped fresh mint1/4 cup chopped salted roasted unblanched almondsRoasted Garlic-Fig Sauce:1/2 cup dry red wine1/3 cup roasted garlic-onion jam1/3 cup thinly sliced dried figs, stems removed1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Combine garlic, pumpkin pie spice and pepper; press evenly onto beef steak. Place beef steak and 1/3 cup wine in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours, turning once.
- Prepare bulgur. Combine bulgur, water, salt and pumpkin pie spice in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until tender and water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Stir in mint and almonds; keep warm.
- Meanwhile combine Roasted Garlic-Fig Sauce ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steak in skillet; cook 15 to 18 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove to cutting board; keep warm.
- Add sauce mixture to same skillet. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to skillet are dissolved and sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Carve steaks into slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve steak over bulgur; drizzle with sauce. Garnish with additional almonds and mint, if desired.
Cook'sTipFour beef Ranch Steaks, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 5 ounces each) may be substituted for Top Sirloin Steak. Cook 8 to 11 minutes as directed above for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.Cook's Tip: If Onion and Roasted Garlic Jam is unavailable, add ½ cup diced onion and 2 small cloves garlic, minced to same skillet used to cook steaks. Cook and stir over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Meanwhile combine 1/3 cup apple or grape jelly with wine, figs and pumpkin pie spice as directed in recipe. Add jelly mixture to same skillet stirring to combine and to dissolve any brown bits attached to bottom of pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly until sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Continue as directed in recipe.
Nutrition information per serving: 593 calories; 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 74 mg cholesterol; 415 mg sodium; 59 g carbohydrate; 9.7 g fiber; 46 g protein; 13.6 mg niacin; 1 mg vitamin B6; 2.2 mcg vitamin B12; 5.2 mg iron; 47.2 mcg selenium; 8.5 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and American National CattleWomen, Inc.