PESTO STEAK & ARTICHOKE SANDWICH
Total Recipe Time: 30 minutes
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients1 beef skirt steak (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into 4 pieces1 container (7 ounces) refrigerated reduced-fat pesto, divided1/4 cup light (1/2 the calories & fat of mayonnaise) mayonnaise6 hoagie rolls (6-inch), split lengthwise1 jar (6.5 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped6 slices provolone cheese
- Place beef steak and 1/2 cup pesto in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat steak. Close bag securely; marinate in refrigerator 6 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 7 to 12 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill 8 to 12 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Carve steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- Combine remaining pesto with mayonnaise in small bowl.
- Spread cut sides of hoagie rolls with pesto-mayo mixture. Layer bottom of rolls with equal amounts beef; top with artichoke hearts and cheese slice.
- Place open-faced sandwiches on rack of broiler pan, with hoagie roll tops, cut-side-up next to sandwiches, so surface of sandwich is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil 1 minute or until cheese is melted and cut sides of buns are toasted. Close sandwiches.
Nutrition information per serving: 572 calories; 31 g fat (11 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 893 mg sodium; 41 g carbohydrate; 4.7 g fiber; 31 g protein; 4.7 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 3.3 mg iron; 10.9 mcg selenium; 3.3 mg zinc; 59.6 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12 and zinc; and a good source of fiber, vitamin B6, iron, selenium and choline.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and American National CattleWomen, Inc.