South Pacific Steak
Marinade Time: 30 minutes to 2 hoursCooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients4 boneless beef chuck eye steaks, cut 1 inch thick1-1/2 cups purchased fresh pineapple chunks packed in juice1/2 cup hoisin sauce1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges1/3 cup apricot preserves2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Soak four 12-inch bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Combine pineapple juice and hoisin sauce in small bowl. Place steaks in food-safe plastic bag. Pour 1/4 cup hoisin-pineapple mixture over steaks; turn to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Alternately thread pineapple chunks, bell pepper pieces and onion wedges onto skewers. Place in glass dish; brush 1/4 cup hoisin-pineapple mixture on kabobs. Cover and marinate in refrigerator up to 2 hours.
- Remove steaks and skewers from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 9 to 11 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 12 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining hoisin-pineapple mixture, apricot preserves and lemon juice in small saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until hot. Serve steaks with kabobs and sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Cook'sTipFour beef top blade (flat iron) steaks (about 8 ounces each) may be substituted for chuck eye steaks. Grill 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F)to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
Nutrition information per serving, using chuck eye: 380 calories; 35 g protein; 42 g carbohydrate; 8 g fat; 497 mg sodium; 81 mg cholesterol; 5.5 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 4.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.6 mg iron; 10.2 mg zinc. This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc. Nutrition information per serving, using flat iron: 435 calories; 35 g protein; 42 g carbohydrate; 14 g fat; 493 mg sodium; 77 mg cholesterol; 5.7 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 4.6 mcg vitamin B12; 4.5 mg iron; 11.6 mg zinc.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and American National CattleWomen, Inc.